January 15, 2015

Chapter 40

This is not one of my favourites, but it was a necessary transitional chapter between the Master's exit and Lucy's visit. There are some nice moments, though. I've managed to mention all three companions in one chapter. Yay me.

Obviously we know this isn't going to end well. We already know how this year ends, but I think half of the fun is that - just this once - we know more than the Doctor does. Lucy's forced a really weird conundrum on him, but we'll be getting his perspective on stuff next chapter.


I really don't have much to say here, except for the fact that 'Merry Christmas, Martha.' is quite possibly one of the saddest, sweetest (in his still manly way) bits of dialogue I've written for the Doctor so far. This is the Doctor completely out of his element, forced to operate from such a weird position - even the person trying to destroy everything is someone he wants to save, and he's all alone at Christmas when he's used to having a companion to share it with. I dunno, it's just a little bit heartbreaking, or maybe that's just me.

 This is pretty much the calm before the storm. Lucy's little moment of clarity here is going to set us up for the rest of this section, and after that? Well, I don't want to spoil it for you.

But really, we need to give the Doctor his moment to shine. This is his story - a very very significant story, too. Not just because of the Master, but also because of where in the tenth Doctor's story he is telling it. I'm desperately hoping that everybody except Jack knows, but just in case, let's hold off on that (sort of) revelation until it comes up in the story.

 Here, we're also setting Lucy up for launch day. With five months left to go, she's starting to crack. I'm not saying she's suddenly turned 'good', but she is yet another infuriatingly complex character to explain. Future Doctor and Jack will be talking about her in the next chapter though, so I'll leave discussing her until then.

Link to the Chapter is HERE

That is more or less all I have to say here, except for the music I used, which was:
 
 It's very calm and very sad, and I think it suits this chapter wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment