January 18, 2015

Chapter 41

I used to have a dog that escaped every Christmas day.

That really has no relevance at all... just putting that out there.

I'm afraid that I do get a bit overexcited about my own writing. In my head the end of this chapter makes me want to shout RUN, DOCTOR, RUN!

...Rather odd really, considering I know where this is going to end up, and everyone reading at least knows that this isn't going to be successful.

As usual, the Doctor is leaving out his personal reasons for what he's just done. He will be forced to tell Jack very shortly, but he's sharing the most important stuff, and showing us just what an amazing guy he is.

 Did I mention how much I adore the tenth Doctor? That incredibly complicated, damaged, occasionally morally ambiguous but good and kind man is my biggest hero in all of fiction. Forgiveness and unconditional love seem to be pretty much his things. Well, that and being pretty kickass in his own oddly passive way.

 Lucy has really forced him into this situation. I'm not saying that he made the right choice (like I said - morally ambigious), but he didn't want Lucy to have to suffer whatever the Master would do to her for trying to help the Doctor escape. There's always this really weird divide in Doctor Who as to what is acceptable happening to other people, and what is happening to the people the Doctor knows personally. It's natural, I suppose. Having never been in that situation (and hopefully I never will), I can't say for certain why it is, but it seems natural enough to me.

Also, let's just take a moment to feel a tiny bit sorry for the Master? I know, he's a psychopath, but we all love him because/despite it, and the two people he has any attachment to (the degree of which - in Lucy's case - is debateable) have just betrayed him. He obviously expects it from the Doctor, but Lucy... hmmm...

Jack and the Doctor have their own complicated relationship, and sometimes Jack can be a little callous - he looks at the bigger picture, regardless of individuals, and that's one thing he and the Doctor can never agree on. They've been fairly friendly with each other so far, but there is always that underlying difference in morality that will bring them to disagreements.

One question that leaps to mind - why did the Master keep his screwdriver? I have my own thoughts on that, but the thing about this relationship is that you have to leave things open to interpretation, or it becomes less believeable. It's a strange way to approach it, I know, but honestly? Interpretation influences a hell of a lot of Doctor Who. The canon is so twisted and conflicting from one Doctor to the next that sometimes you have to interpret. Personally most of my stuff comes from Russel T. Davies' 'interpretation', and most of what I'm writing - their history and the nature of their relationship - was what I got from his era. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter, because there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way in Doctor Who.

We're about to hit running mode. It's about time we saw the Doctor shine, instead of just resisting the insanity of the Master. Of course, the Doctor needs someone to share his shining moment with, and I can think of only one person on the ship cut out for that...

The rest of this section - while I have the key points and a rather (very) painstakingly thought out conversation ready to roll - is still forming in my head. Due to real life stuff it may be a little while before the next chapter (I don't have an estimate for this one, it depends on a lot of things. I'm hoping it will be before the end of January though), but as always I'm contactable, and reviews would be wonderful.

Link to the Chapter is HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment